Exactly one year ago I posted 15 books I read and enjoyed in 2015. I thought I would make this a tradition and put this list out again. I have been in the same book club since late 2011, so going on five years. I love the monthly meetings/girls nights out and the variety of books we read with five ladies choosing our reads.
We use good reads to help narrow down our selections. We are all friends on there and try to check our picks against other members lists of Read, To Read, and Currently Reading shelves. It definitely helps cut out the back and forth of suggesting a few books that multiple people have already read.
There is also a fun feature where you can set a reading challenge goal at the beginning of the year and track against it. I definitely underestimated this year and challenged myself to read 24 books but will most likely read 32 books this year. Here are some of my favorites from this year:
16 Top Books of 2016
- Wild Seed – Octavia Butler
- The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings in Authenticity, Connections and Courage – Brené Brown
- Only Love Can Break Your Heart -Ed Tarkington
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear – Elizabeth Gilbert
- When Breath Becomes Air – Paul Kalanithi
- Before You Know Kindness – Chris Bohjalian
- Purple Hibiscus – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- The Secret Life of Bees – Sue Monk Kidd
- At the Water’s Edge – Sara Gruen
- The Clifton Chronicles #1-5 – Jeffery Archer
- A House in the Sky – Amanda Lindhout
- Dark Matter – Blake Crouch
- Homegoing – Yaa Gyasi
- Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
- A Gentleman in Moscow – Amor Towles
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette – Maria Semple
I am currently reading Commonwealth by Ann Patchett for book club and am loving it! If I had already finished it I would definitely have included it on this list. I have also done a lot of audiobook listening this year with our move and dog walking it is great to be able to read while walking or packing/unpacking boxes. I split time between books from audible and my favorite podcasts. Here is a pic of my reading buddy when she was still so little!
What have you been reading? Any recommendations for me in 2017?