Whenever I make granola I can’t help but sing a little Neil Diamond.
I have been making simple granola over the weekends to make breakfast during the week faster and more portable. Breakfast is something I rarely go without and look forward to every morning. My “main Neil” knows I am hungry when I wake him up or start to get grouchy. Having pre-made breakfasts are key to easy mornings.
Lately I have been alternating my normal oatmeal breakfasts with healthy, paleo-style muffins and granola-fruit parfaits. This granola recipe is one of my favorites because of the coconut maple combination. I love the added nutrition and texture the buckwheat and the flax seeds provide, the crunch is key for the crunchy granola. :) I have been loving everything coconut lately. I just whipped up some homemade coconut butter while I was making the latest batch of this granola. Super easy, will follow up with another post.
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 buckwheat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil, remove from heat and stir in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and coat the mixture.
- Spread evenly on two cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes and stir. Make sure to turn over the edges. Bake for another 10 minutes until it turns a light, golden brown.
- Let cool, taste test, and store in sealed containers.
I have been loving having greek yogurt with muffin pieces, cut up orange or grapefruit, almond or nut butter, and buckwheat. I got this great ideas from katheats.com. At first you may wonder if the muffin with get soggy and how all of these ingredients will blend together but the citrus is amazing and the muffin makes it a treat. The two muffins I have made most recently are carrot banana muffins that are moist and heavenly and these amazing orange almond muffins with chia seeds.