what is a doula?
A doula is not a midwife. We are not medically trained and do not deliver babies.
A doula provides physical, emotional and informational support to women before, during and after labor. It comes from Greek meaning “a woman who serves.” For centuries women have been attended in birth by other knowledgable women. This village support system was left behind by many as we came into the 20th century and many women and couples have labored alone. Doulas serve as this support system to mamas and couples today creating a warm, nurturing space for them to bring babies into the world.
what are the benefits of a having a doula?
Studies have shown that having a doula in attendance:
- tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
- reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
- reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
my services include:
- a free informational interview to see if we are a good match
- 2 prenatal appointments (about 2 hours each) to get to know each other, go over your birth preferences, comfort measures for labor, review options or procedures and answer your questions.
- creating a birth plan
- 24/7 on call support beginning 2 weeks before your due date (earlier for twins)
- continuous support emotional, physical and informational support throughout your labor, birth and 1-2 hours post delivery
- advocacy for the the mother and partner before, during and after the birth
- 1+ postpartum visit to review the birth, provide resources, lactation support
support and services may also include:
- birth preferences/vision/plan consultation
- visualization, breathing, and mindfulness techniques
- simple photography if requested
- labor massage
- use of a birth ball
- professional referrals
pricing and plans:
- Labor Doula Support -$1200 (Sonoma County) $1400 (Marin County and East Bay)
- $50 discount on placenta processing when paired with doula services
- Labor Doula Support & 3 private prenatal yoga session – $1350
- Birth Plan Consultation – $150
- This is a great option if you think you have the support you need but still want to talk through your plans and preferences. One of my favorites things to work with mamas and couples on is answering questions, talking through their preferences, explaining options and procedures and helping to normalize childbirth. We can meet in person and we will create a birth plan together. If you already have a draft we can use this time to review and I can answer any of your questions and cover some comfort measures and other tips I offer my doula clients.
Contact me to discuss custom packages including bundles of my services. I would love to support you in a way that meet your needs.
Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in setting up an interview to see if I would be a good fit for your birthing experience.